The Vienna City Park extends from the Parkring in the First District of Vienna up to the Heumarkt (a street, literally translated as hay market) in the Third District and covers an area of 65,000 m². Even as early as in the Biedermeier period, the glacis before the Karolinenstadttor (Caroline City Gate) was a popular site of entertainmaint.
During the demolition of the city walls and the creation of the Vienna Ringstraße in its place, the mayor at that time, Andreas Zelinka, promoted the project of creating a public park on the territory. The park was designed in the style of English gardens by the landscape painter Josef Selleny, while the plans were made by the city gardener Rudolf Siebeck. On 21 August 1862 the park was opened, becoming the first public park in Vienna.
On the southern shore of the Wienfluß, the so-called Kinderpark (Children’s park) was created in 1863, which is today still used mainly as a playground and for sports. The Karolinenbrücke (Caroline Bridge), which was built in 1857 (since 1918 it is known as Stadtparkbrücke – City Park Bridge) connects it to the Stadtpark proper on the northern side of the river.
After the regulation of the Wienfluss, the whole river area was rebuilt by Friedrich Ohmann and Josef Hackhofer between 1903 and 1907, with a gate out of which the river flows, pavillons and stairs to its shorts. The architecture is among the sights of the park.
The Vienna Kursalon was built between the years 1865 and 1867 by Johann Garber in the style of the Italian Renaissance. After two years of restoration recently, the Vienna Kursalon sparkles in renewed splendour, inviting audiences to experience the musical pleasures that have thrilled visitors since the famed Promenade Concerts of the brothers Strauss. The Vienna Kursalon is one of the most beautiful concert venues in the heart of Vienna. More Info
The gilded bronze monument of Johann Strauß II, is one of the most known and most frequently photographed monuments in Vienna. It was revealed to the public on 26 June 1921 and is framed by a marble relief made by Edmund Hellmer. The gilding was removed in 1935 and layed on again only in 1991.
There are several other monuments, e.g. of Franz Schubert, Franz Lehár, Robert Stolz and Hans Makart; the Stadtpark is the park with the largest number of monuments and sculptures in Vienna.
The former milk drinking hall was erected as part of the installations surrounding the Wienfluß according to plans of Friedrich Ohmann und Josef Hackhofer during the years of 1901 to 1903. After suffering heavy damage during World War II, the building was extended during reconstruction. Today, with another annex having been built, the restaurant Steiereck resides in the Meierei. More Info (German)
The planting of the City Park is characterized by a large diversity of species. By that design, it was attempted to achieve blooms during all seasons. A parkway bordering the Ringstraße filters noise and emissions from the park. Some groves are natural protection zones, such as a Ginkgo, a Christusdorn, a Pyramid Poplar and Caucasian Wing Nut.
To reach with public tranportation: U3, U4, Tram 1, 2, bus 74A